Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Surprise!

Last week, Aaron came into the kitchen to tell me he had a surprise for me. I immediately told him I didn't want to know. "Stop talking about it," I said. "It won't be a surprise anymore."

Aaron is great at coming up with ways to surprise me. But he is also terrible at keeping things a surprise because he is always so excited about what he's come up with that he can't wait to share it. It's like that SNL character, Sue, played by Kristen Wiig.

So he came up with a compromise: he had me play 20 Questions to guess what the surprise was. That way, he wouldn't be telling me, but I could still know.

"Is it used for entertainment?"

"Is it something you eat?"

"Is it something you wear?"

"Have I ever owned something like this?"

"Does it require electricity/batteries?"

His last two answers (Yes, but this is an upgrade and Yes) made it click in my brain for some reason.

"Is it a new mixer?"

Yes. It was not only a new mixer, but a fancy-pants Kitchen Aid Artisan stand mixer in a color they call Cinnamon Gloss (dark red). I believe I blinked a few times. Then I teared up a little. Then I hugged him. Because I have always, always wanted one of these mixers, but it was the kind of thing I never thought I would get--it was too much for a birthday or Christmas or anniversary present, because we don't spend extravagantly on gifts. It was certainly not something you get "just because." Unless, of course, you're Aaron and you find a great deal on the Internet (a sale plus two rebates).

The mixer was delivered today by our friendly UPS man, who has woken me out of a dead sleep a few times because our bedroom is at the front of the house and the front door really resonates when someone pounds on it. He had a hard time lugging the large box into my messy living room, and I couldn't offer him much help since I was barefoot and in a hastily-thrown-on robe.

Aaron pulled it out of the box and set it up on the counter. It's incredibly shiny. Sleek, even. In my kitchen, it's like when you see an expensive car driving through a lower-middle-class neighborhood. You think someone must have made a mistake, because it's just too good.

I know, I probably shouldn't get this worked up over a mixer, but I love to bake. For so long this appliance has rested in the back of my mind as an aspirational object. This thing will let me do what I already do, but even better. I may be placing too much importance on a THING, an IT, an OBJECT. At the same time, however, this mixer is an investment, and the returns will be measured not in how much I get out of using it, but in how others benefit from the breads, cakes, brownies, and cookies I bring them. Because I get a kick out of baking for people, especially for no reason other than the fact that I like them.

Now who wants banana bread?

3 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled for you to have welcomed such a FABULOUS addition to your family! And, to be honest, I'm a little surprised you haven't yet included photos of the newest member! So many women I know have been lulled to baking bliss by the siren song of the Kitchen Aid mixer! I know Emily's named her mixer, have you anthropomorphized yours yet by christening it with a name? What was the first baked good you churned out? What's your favorite thing about owning one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I named her Lolita. It seemed entirely appropriate, since she's dark red. I have only used the mixer once so far, to make banana bread for a friend's thesis defense, but I made enough so I could hand it out to a few other people as surprises (which is the best part of baking for me).

    I haven't really used the mixer enough to have a favorite part of using it, but I think I'll really appreciate it when it comes time to make bread and noodle dough, since it can be a real pain to knead it by hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I love Lolita! I think it's perfectly fine that you haven't gone all mad bakeress, yet. Especially since you've been focusing on interviewing and trying to secure that new job opportunity, right? Anyway, do post pictures of your tasty baked goods whenever you have a chance to get crazy with it!

      Delete