Monday, March 12, 2012

Twelve Reasons Today Was a Good Day


 For Aaron and I, it's always about the little things in life. And I'm grateful our lives are so small.


1. I had to set my alarm to make sure I was awake for the UPS man to deliver my new vacuum. I've needed a replacement for over a year, and Aaron ordered one for me.


2. I was able to go back to bed for more rest. I didn't fall back asleep, but I wasn't really awake, either.

3. I had my first milkshake today. Yes, I'm serious--I've never had a milkshake before. I thought drinking melted ice cream was nuts. It was delicious, and half-price.

4. Aaron and I spent the afternoon walking in the cypress swamp at Heron Pond. Apparently, the best way to recover from physically overdoing a work out on Sunday is more physical exertion on Monday. We took photos. We enjoyed the sunshine. We didn't answer our phones or worry about what time it was.



The entire pond was covered in small red and green plants, which made it look like the trees grew out of something pink and slightly gelatinous, since it rippled a little when the wind blew.













The mosquitoes loved him. I wore long sleeves.








5. I saw wildlife, up close and personal: Mosquitoes. Gnats. Vultures. A red-headed woodpecker.  Squirrels. A crayfish. Several turkeys, who flew across the road as our car approached.






We played with this little guy for a long time. Aaron kept worrying that he'd pinch my fingers. I told him not to be so afraid of everything, that this is what kids do all the time.






6. Aaron took me to the "redneck zoo," which means we drove around until we found a dairy farm with a fence close to the road so I could watch the cows. This is one of my most common requests when we go on drives in the country, because I love cows. I love staring into their oddly-spaced eyes, listening to them snort and chew. If they moo, all the better.

7. We went grocery shopping together. I usually go alone, so it was nice to have company. Bargain-hunting at Kroger netted us ribeye steaks on sale. We also bought a bag of charcoal, four bags of salad, and a 20 lb. bag of rice that were "Manager's Specials" (meaning: super cheap). We also managed to make a trip in and out of Aldi in about seven minutes, since it was 7:51 and the store closes at 8:00. Why does that feel like a victory? I don't know, but it does.

8. The ruby-throated hummingbird migration has brought them as far as Montgomery, Alabama so far. Though they aren't here yet, they'll be in southern Illinois in a matter of weeks. I check the map every day because I'm so excited that some tiny birds will be flitting around my backyard come April.

9. When we came home, Aaron put away of the groceries while I cooked dinner. Then he put together the new vacuum and tested it out in the living room and kitchen. I put away the dishes. With two people cleaning, it feels less like chores and more like a competition to see who can be nice longer.

10. We watched a few episodes of Mad Men on Netflix, after being too busy the past week or so to watch any together.

11. I got to open the windows today, and leave them open tonight. Even though I had to wash all of the silverware I've been leaving in the sink because I hate washing silverware, I finished it tonight because it's hard not to feel good when you're standing at the sink with a cool breeze blowing in the window, listening to the peep of a thousand frog voices and the drawn out chord of an oncoming freight train.

12. Aaron and I had a mutual day off together that we spent mostly together, rather than sequestered in our offices (with the exception of the past hour or so).

4 comments:

  1. 1. I always get so nervous when I'm waiting to receive something from UPS/Fed Ex. Because you could end up waiting DAYYYSSS for something just because you miss the carrier at the door (see also: http://gizmodo.com/5682587/your-packages-never-arrive-because-ups-employs-ninjas). I'm excited for your new vacuum! Over the past year I've found myself getting exciting over "grown up toys" like vacuums. I'm so frustrated with our teeny-tiny canister vacuum that I'm actually considering requesting a brand spanking new and fabulous vacuum for my BIRTHDAY. Never thought THAT would happen.

    2. Dozing. I'll do that every once in a while after I've been reading for a bit. I don't mind it because it's an excuse to whip up some fancy tea upon waking!

    3. I love milkshakes and ice cream and chilly treats, but my teeth are so sensitive I don't like to indulge often. What flavor was it?? And are you aware there's a new frozen-yogurt cafe (Chill) that just opened up in Carbondale? I'm so excited to gooooo! (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chill-Yogurt-Cafe-Carbondale/312886475414664 and http://chillyogurt.com/)

    4. Your photos of the cypress swamp are beautiful. The area looks like something out of a fantasy movie (like The Neverending Story or Labyrinth).

    5. I'm nowhere near as adventurous as you. I don't like bugs or creepy crawly things with more than four legs! Although, I don't mind snakes. Worns? Forget about it!

    6. I understand your sentiments about cows. Before I could drive or had a car, I'd walk to the strip mall half a mile from my mom's house whenever I wanted a toasty beverage or to buy nail polish or whatever it was I could afford as a 15 year old with an allowance. I'd always pass by this fence in cow pasture running along the side of a highway. The cows were more spooked by rambunctious people than the noisy cars that rumbled by day-in and day-out. What chill creatures.

    7. I go grocery-slaying on my own, too. Every now and then Wesley'll undertake the journey, but I kinda find shopping therapeutic. It's my grown-up alone zen time. Getting in and out of a store in 7 minutes? I AM impressed! I get sooooo distracted.

    8. Hummingbirds are pretty amazing and bitty and beautiful. You're right to be excited. Do you have a hummingbird feeder and sugar water (it's cheaper than storebought nectar and easy to make!: http://birding.about.com/od/birdfeeders/a/nectarrecipe.htm) for when they visit?

    9. Sounds like a happy division of labor.

    10. We LOVE Mad Men! How far are you along in the series? We can't wait for the upcoming season!

    11. The windows in our townhouse aren't strategically placed, so I don't get to enjoy a breeze in the kitchen, and the windows in the living room give way to the scorching afternoon sun. Definitely things to consider when we're looking for our next place.

    12. I love that you had time together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. 3.2. We actually went to an ice creamery just a couple days ago when we were visiting family in Nashville. It was a place called Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams and I wrote about it in my most recent blog post, if you'd like to check it out!

      Delete
  2. Getting excited about grown-up toys is a transition into adulthood that I don't really mind. Aaron and I are big on want vs. need as part of the decision-making process for most purchases, and the vacuum fell into both categories.

    I've heard a lot of good things about this frozen yogurt business in Carbondale, but I haven't been there yet. We had milkshakes at Steak 'N Shake (he had chocolate strawberry, I had peanut butter cup).

    And I'm all about the sugar/water mix for the hummingbird feeders. I don't use food coloring, either, because they don't need it. When we lived in Cambria, I had 17 hummingbirds who regularly fed on my porch. I felt so guilty when we moved to Marion last summer because it was the middle of the season and I was abandoning my birds. I only had four here last year, so I'm hoping that I'll have a better start this year. My feeders have been out since Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm DEFINITELY excited about your new vacuum. I will live vicariously through your acquisition of fine appliances!

      We've got eye appointments in town on Friday, so I think we're planning to try it out then! There's also ANOTHER fro-yo place (Cool Spoons) I heard about yesterday, over by the Great Outdoor store and Kohl's that just opened up! Too many frozen yogurt cafes is a problem I wanna have.

      Delete